- Delhi is a metropolitan region in India that includes the national capital city, New Delhi. It is India’s second-most-populous city after Mumbai, and the largest city in terms of area.
• DELHI(noun) The noun DELHIhas 1 sense: 1.a city in north central India Familiarity information: DELHIused as a noun is very rare. Dictionary entry details • DELHI(noun) Sense 1 Meaning: A city in north central India Classified under: Nouns denoting spatial position Synonyms: Delhi; New Delhi Instance hypernyms:
- 1 What is the meaning of the word Delhi?
- 2 How did Delhi get its name?
- 3 What is the full form of New Delhi?
- 4 What is the meaning of Delhi 6?
- 5 What is correct spelling of Delhi?
- 6 What is the nickname of Delhi?
- 7 Who ruled Delhi first?
- 8 What is the old name of India?
- 9 What is New Delhi famous for?
- 10 What is the difference between New Delhi and Delhi?
- 11 In which state Delhi is situated?
- 12 What happened to Old Delhi?
- 13 Who is Kala Bandar in Delhi 6 Movie?
What is the meaning of the word Delhi?
Delhi in British English 2. an administrative division (National Capital Territory) of N India, formerly a Union Territory.
How did Delhi get its name?
According to legend, the city was named for Raja Dhilu, a king who reigned in the region in the 1st century bce. The names by which the city has been known—including Delhi , Dehli, Dilli, and Dhilli, among others—likely are corruptions of his name .
What is the full form of New Delhi?
NCR stands for National Capital Region. It is the metropolitan area in India which encompasses the entire territory of Delhi and urban areas of neighboring states; Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan. So, Delhi along with the urban areas of the neighboring states is known as the National Capital Region.
What is the meaning of Delhi 6?
Delhi 6 is the largest PIN Code zone in India and contains all of the walled city of Old Delhi . Delhi 6 is used as a pejorative to describe the old and peculiar ways of the residents of this (and also other) area of Delhi /NCR.
What is correct spelling of Delhi?
Correct spelling for the English word ” delhi ” is [dˈɛli], [dˈɛli], [d_ˈɛ_l_i] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
What is the nickname of Delhi?
List of Nicknames of Indian Cities
|Name of the City||Nicknames||State|
|Nasik||California of India Grape city of India Wine capital of India||Maharashtra|
|New Delhi||City of Rallies||Delhi|
|Panipat||City of Handloom City of Weavers||Haryana|
Who ruled Delhi first?
From 1206, Delhi became the capital of the Delhi Sultanate under the Slave Dynasty . The first Sultan of Delhi, Qutb -ud-din Aybak, was a former slave who rose through the ranks to become a general, a governor and then Sultan of Delhi.
What is the old name of India?
Jambudvipa (Sanskrit: जम्बुद्वीप Jambu-dvīpa, lit. “berry island”) was used in ancient scriptures as a name of India before Bhārata became the official name. The derivative Jambu Dwipa was the historical term for India in many Southeast Asian countries before the introduction of the English word “India”.
What is New Delhi famous for?
New Delhi is also the seat of all three branches of the government of India , hosting the Rashtrapati Bhavan, Parliament House, and the Supreme Court of India . Delhi itself is often considered as a hub for international trade.
What is the difference between New Delhi and Delhi?
Delhi , officially the National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT), is a city and a Union Territory of India containing New Delhi , the capital of India. New Delhi is an urban district located in the city of Delhi . New Delhi serves as the capital of India and the seat of all three branches of the Government of India.
In which state Delhi is situated?
It is bordered by the state of Haryana on three sides and by Uttar Pradesh to the east.
|Formation of Union Territory||1956|
|Formation of National Capital Territory||1 February 1992|
What happened to Old Delhi?
Old Delhi or Purani Dilli is an area part of the greater city of Delhi , India. The construction of the city was completed in 1648, and it remained the capital of the Mughal Empire until its fall in 1857, when the British Raj took over as paramount power in India.
Who is Kala Bandar in Delhi 6 Movie?
The appearance of Monkey Man in Old Delhi is the centre-point of the 2009 Bollywood Hindi film Delhi-6 directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra . In the film, the creature, called in Hindi as “Kala Bandar (Black Monkey)” is used as an allegory to represent the evil that resides inside every man alongside God (virtue).