There are a total of 121 languages and 270 mother tongues. The 22 languages specified in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution of India are given in Part A and languages other than those specified in the Eighth Schedule (numbering 99) are given in Part B.
What are the most common languages spoken in India?
- Hindi is the most spoken language in India, and also one of the country’s official languages. Around 550 million people in India speak Hindi. After Hindi, English is the most widely spoken language in the country, with around 125 million speakers.
There is no such thing as the ‘Indian language’ as there are 17 (recognized) major regional languages in India, however, the different dialects in India number several hundred and the number of actual spoken languages reach over 2500.
- 1 Are there 1600 languages in India?
- 2 What are the top 3 languages spoken in India?
- 3 Which language is oldest in India?
- 4 Which language is most spoken in India?
- 5 Why does India have so many languages?
- 6 What are the 22 languages in India?
- 7 Which is toughest language in India?
- 8 Which is the most beautiful language in India?
- 9 Which is the sweetest language in the world?
- 10 Which is first language in world?
- 11 Which is the mother of all languages?
- 12 What is the oldest language still spoken?
- 13 Which is the richest language in the world?
- 14 Is Sanskrit older than Tamil?
- 15 Which is the hardest language in the world?
Are there 1600 languages in India?
Classical language status is given to languages which have a rich heritage and independent nature. According to the Census of India of 2001, India has 122 major languages and 1599 other languages .
What are the top 3 languages spoken in India?
More than one million speakers
|Rank||Language||2011 Census of India (total: 1,210,854,977)|
Which language is oldest in India?
And while it may not be known to a lot of people on our planet, today Tamil is spoken by around 78 million people which makes it the longest surviving language in the world. Sanskrit : Next in line is Sanskrit , the ancient language of India which can be traced back to 2000BC in its earliest written form. .
Which language is most spoken in India?
Хинди Английский Индия / Официальные языки Hindi , with over 528 million native speakers was the most spoken language across Indian homes, followed by Bengali with 97 million speakers, as of 2011 census data.
Why does India have so many languages?
leading to linguistic diversity. Geography of India coupled with its long history has meant that many regions have remained isolated for sufficient periods of time that their language have diverged over a period of time into distinct ones. India is home to languages that belong to four major language families.
What are the 22 languages in India?
1) Assamese, (2) Bengali , (3) Gujarati, (4) Hindi, (5) Kannada, (6) Kashmiri , (7) Konkani , (8) Malayalam, (9) Manipuri, (10) Marathi, (11) Nepali, (12) Oriya, (13) Punjabi, (14) Sanskrit, (15) Sindhi, (16) Tamil, (17) Telugu, (18) Urdu (19) Bodo , (20) Santhali, (21) Maithili and (22) Dogri .
Which is toughest language in India?
Google admits Malayalam (official language of Kerala State) to be the toughest language in India. It is both difficult to learn and speak as compared to any other language in India. It might be the second toughest language in the world after Chinese. It belongs to the dravidian family.
Which is the most beautiful language in India?
India is famous for its linguistic diversity, and one of the most beautiful languages spoken on the Indian Subcontinent is certainly Bengali . It has a gorgeous writing system to begin with, and a flowing sound that one of the world’s greatest poets, Rabindranath Tagore, used to create his art.
Which is the sweetest language in the world?
According to a UNESCO survey, Bengali has been voted the sweetest language in the world; positioning Spanish and Dutch as the second and third sweetest tongues.
Which is first language in world?
The Tamil language is recognized as the oldest language in the world and it is the oldest language of the Dravidian family. This language had a presence even around 5,000 years ago. According to a survey, 1863 newspapers are published in the Tamil language only every day.
Which is the mother of all languages?
Known as ‘the mother of all languages ,’ Sanskrit is the dominant classical language of the Indian subcontinent and one of the 22 official languages of India. It is also the liturgical language of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.
What is the oldest language still spoken?
Tamil (5000 years old) – Oldest Living Language of the World. Source Spoken by 78 million people and official language in Sri Lanka and Singapore, Tamil is the oldest language in the world. It is the only ancient language that has survived all the way to the modern world.
Which is the richest language in the world?
Counting the Words in the Dictionary
|Language||Words in the Dictionary|
Is Sanskrit older than Tamil?
” Sanskrit is the oldest language. India was a world leader [vishwaguru] and Sanskrit was its important element,” he said. Raja said they do not accept that Tamil came from Sanskrit . Tamil is older than Sanskrit and there is record of ‘ Tamil Sangam’ dating back 4,500 years, he said.
Which is the hardest language in the world?
The Hardest Languages In The World To Learn Mandarin . Right at the top is the most spoken language in the world: Mandarin . Arabic . Number two, Arabic , challenges English speakers because most letters are written in 4 different forms depending on where they’re placed in a word. Japanese. Hungarian. Korean. Finnish. Basque. Navajo.